|Type: Field operational test|
|Tested system/service: Cooperative Systems|
|Countries: The Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, France||? test users|
|6 partners||? vehicles|
|Active from 2011/01/01 to 2014/12/31|
|University of Twente|
|Data catalogue||Tools catalogue|
|Data sets used in this FOT:
||The following tools|
were used in this FOT:
Cooperative ITS and V2X communication promise a new age of safer, more efficient, and more comfortable road traffic. However, this promise can only be fulfilled if those systems are designed and implemented in a secure way where they cannot be abused by malicious attackers and where the personal data that they process is not subject to abuse and privacy violations.
The goal of PRESERVE (Preparing Secure Vehicle-to-X Communication Systems) is to bring secure and privacy-protected V2X communication closer to reality by providing and field testing a security and privacy subsystem for V2X systems. PRESERVE will combine and extend results from earlier research projects, integrating and developing them to a pre-deployment stage by enhancing scalability, reducing the cost level, and addressing open deployment issues. It aims at providing comprehensive protection ranging from the vehicle sensors, through the on-board network and V2V/V2I communication, to the receiving application. As a result, PRESERVE will present a complete, scalable, and cost-efficient V2X security subsystem that is close-to-market and will be provided to other FOT projects and interested parties for ongoing testing.
Field operational testing will investigate a number of important scalability and feasibility issues. Further, the V2X security subsystem will also be provided to other projects to jointly investigate integration and performance in larger fleets of vehicles. Another strategic objective of PRESERVE is to contribute to on-going harmonization and standardization efforts at the European level.
European FP7 project
Details of Field Operational Test
Start date and duration of FOT execution
- Create an integrated V2X Security Architecture (VSA) and design, implement, and test a close-to-market implementation termed V2X Security Subsystem (VSS).
- Prove that the performance and cost requirements for the VSS arising in current FOTs and future product deployments can be met by the VSS, especially by building a security ASIC for V2X.
- Provide a ready-to-use VSS implementation and support to FOTs and interested parties so that a close-to-market security solution can be deployed as part of such activities.
- Solve open deployment and technical issues hindering standardization and product pre-development.
PRESERVE is expected to produce the following results:
- Harmonized V2X Security Architecture
- Implementation of V2X Security Subsystem
- Cheap and scalable security ASIC for V2X
- Testing results VSS under realistic conditions
- Research results for deployment challenges
Summary, type of funding and budget
Total: 5.438 M€, EC Funding: 3.850 M€
Cooperation partners and contact persons
- Public Authorities:
- Industry:escrypt, Renault, Trialog
- Universities:University of Twente, Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan
- Research Institutes:Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology