|Tested system/service: Sensor based mobility services|
|Countries: The Netherlands||1500 test users|
|15 partners||1000 vehicles|
|Active from 01/2010 to 2013|
|Data catalogue||Tools catalogue|
|Data sets used in this FOT:
||The following tools|
were used in this FOT:
- 1 Details of Field Operational Test
- 2 Financing
- 3 Cooperation partners and contact persons
- 4 Applications and equipment
- 5 Methodology
- 6 Sources of information
Details of Field Operational Test
Start date and duration of FOT execution
Pilot will take place in 2012 and beginning of 2013.
All use cases will be tested in and around the City of Assen, the Netherlands.
The aims of the project Sensor City Assen Mobility are to
- Investigate whether reliable floating car data can be generated based on a combination of measurements from the infrastructure network and data from in-car devices.
- Investigate travel time prediction based on the coupling of floating car data and complex traffic models.
- Investigate the technology needed for future information services and services for payment for individual (public transport) users and services for carriers, based on improved arrival time expectations and personal travel profiles.
In Sensor City Assen Mobility five use cases are being developed and will be tested:
- Dynamic Traffic Management: informing the car driver with real-time information supporting him to minimize travel delay, using roadside and in-car systems
- Adaptive Traffic Management: use of scenarios predicting traffic volumes and congestion, and adaptive traffic lights control (green waves) in Assen North
- Parking Guidance Service: on 15 minutes travel time before arriving in Assen (by car) the driver gets a message with information about free parking places and price, navigation to parking place and automatic payment for parking
- Multimodal Travel Assistance, including car pooling option
- Pay How You Drive: travel information and bonus for safe driving behaviour
No results available yet. In 2012 and 2013 a pilot will take place. In this pilot 1000 test users will have in-car systems installed in their car and there will be 500 smart phone users (there will be some overlap in users). First there will be a reference measurement period (no services), and after this there will be a measurement period where the Sensor City Mobility services are offered to the users. The evaluation will consist of technical evaluation, travel behaviour evaluation and simulations. Examples of research questions are:
- What is the effect of the new Sensor City services on car drivers?
- What is the effect of traffic management measures on throughput and emissions?
- What is the effect on multimodal switching behaviour of travelers?
Summary, type of funding and budget
The project Sensor City is made possible by the European Union, European Fund for Regional Development, the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation, ‘Samenwerkingsverbang Noord-Nederland’, ‘KOERS NOORD’.
Cooperation partners and contact persons
15 partners: TNO, Goudappel Coffeng, Quest Traffic Consultancy, DySI, NXP, ParkingWare, Elevation Concepts, Reisinformatiegroep, Peek Traffic, Mobuy, Magicview, Univé, TomTom, City of Assen, Province of Drenthe.
Main contact person
Jan Burgmeijer, project leader, TNO
+31 88 866 7065
Applications and equipment
1000 vehicles are involved with 1000 drivers, and additionally (partly overlap) 500 smart phone users.
Equipment carried by test users
A sensor network will be installed in the city of Assen.
Pre-simulation / Piloting of the FOT
Method for the baseline
Techniques for measurement and data collection
Recruitment goals and methods
Methods for the liaison with the drivers during the FOT execution
Methods for data analysis, evaluation, synthesis and conclusions
Sources of information
|Contact||Jan Burgmeijer +|
|Country||The Netherlands +|
|Is type of||Pilot +|
|Name||Sensor City +|
|Number of partners||15 +|
|Number of test users||1,500 +|
|Number of vehicles||1,000 +|
|Started||January 2010 +|
|Tested system or service||Sensor based mobility services +|
This property is a special property in this wiki.